quarta-feira, outubro 20, 2004

Continued from yesterday....

I was kicked out of the computer room yesterday here at Uni. You are only allowed to use the computers for one hour at a time. Kind of strange, but anyways...

I like León, it´s not too big and not too small. I feel like I know the steets pretty well by now (Well I should ´cause I´ve walked for around 50 hours since I got here). The people are incredibly nice and helpful. I´ve had several people give their phone numbers to me even though I don´t know them really well.

I was pretty fortunate to meet Frida Johannsson, a nineteen year old girl from Sweeden. I knew that I didn´t want to hang out too much with the Irish people ´cause then I´d only speak English. Frida and I started looking for an apartment (or one bedroom each) the day after we first met. First we had to make calls (all in Spanish of course) to ask if the apartment or room was still available and if so whether we could come see it. We walked and ran all over the city seeing all kinds of weird places and people. The first apartment was adorable, but all the rest was no good. Frida found a pretty nice place after about looking at ten places. I was getting really frustrated, but then on Thursday last week I found what I wanted, apartment number 13 it was! And who said 13 was not a lucky number?
I had a really good feeling after I talked to the girl who lives there. Besides, it was number 27, just like my house in Iceland. The owner, la dueña, was there to show me the place. She lives on the 5th floor; the apartment is on the 4th. I told her within 5 minutes that I wanted to move in and she just gave me the key and told me to move in when I wanted to.
The next day, I happily packed my bags and moved out of Residece Emilio Hurtado. After arguing with the guy at the reception about why I had to come pay on Monday I finally got my taxi and left. I truly don´t understand the work ethics in Spain. Way to relaxed if you asked me.... I was also pretty happy that I didn´t have to see that French girl again, Cyril or whatever her name was. We got along ok, until she started bossing me around, telling me where we were going, telling me to eat this and that and God knows what. She even wrote me a note one morning asking me to take a postcard to the post office and buy a stamp for her. Excuse me, I´m not your servant! She moved out of the apartment at Emilio Hurtado the day before I did without even telling me and stealing my milk.

Angelica Fernando is the girl I live with and another one just moved in yesterday, Maria Jesus. Angelica is probably the nicest most considerate person I´ve met in my life. She even sent me a text message before I moved in telling me how much she´d like to live with a foreigner. Before I moved in she sent me a welcoming message and when I woke up after sleeping there the first night she had left me a note saying something like: I hope you had a nice sleep, etc. Neither Angelica nor Maria speak English of course.

Most days I´m pretty tired. The grammar classes are usually pretty hard so siesta is really something I really need every day. It´s strange to have all the stores are closed between 13:30 and 17. My other classes are: oral and written communication and culture. My CULTURA teacher is really hillarious. His name is Santiago and he keeps speaking Danish to me.

This weekend I am going on a 10 hour hiking and cultural trip to Las Medulas. It will be interesting to see what the tourist attractions here look like......
Hasta luego....

Ásta Sól