sexta-feira, outubro 22, 2004

Debates in Spanish

Wow.... I´m learning something new everyday, both about myself and Spanish culture in general. The girls I live with are absolutely amazing, especially Angelica. Both of them are going out of town today and won´t be back until Sunday. Angelica showed me how to watch movies/dvd´s on her computer while she´s away. She also said I could use the computer whenever I wanted to. I thought I was a nice person, but I wouldn´t even do that for somebody who´s renting a room from me. Maybe I´ll reconsider my niceness.... maybe I´m not that nice....

Today´s culture class was interesting. Our homework was to read about the differences of Spanish young people, i.e. the difference between girls and boys with regards to smoking, drinking, sex, how much they get paid for jobs, etc. The last point was were I started talking when Santiago (the teacher) said that there was only a difference in wages because the girls choose different types of jobs and that this were not the case with same kind of jobs; i.e. they always get the same salary for the same kind of job. Since I know this is not always the case in Iceland even I started talking. At first I couldn´t find words in Spanish that would explain my thoughts. Then a few others commented and since I´m a very slow thinker... hehe... I could say what I wanted to say. I was pretty lucky that the Director of the school, José Luis Llamas, walked in and Santiago asked him what he thought of the subject. He said there was a difference in the private sector which helped me a lot with my argument. I asked Santiago why a construction worker is valued more than a person working at a nursery or kindergarten. He didn´t comment on that. Anyways.... I´m not going to write all my opinions here... but what happened after was that I was standing outside with Frida explaining my thoughts in English and Santiago came and asked me what the difference between a feminist and a
chauvinist was. I told him my opinion in brief: feminist is a person who wants equality for all and a chauvinist is a person who thinks the rights of men are greather than that of women. Therefore, feminism is good and chauvinist is bad. Then he stopped a Spanish girl asking her whether bother were good, bad or bad and good. She said: "both are bad" and he said: "that´s the way it is." We ended the conversation, but after the weekend I will have to defend my opinons in class and all in Spanish of course. That will probably be the most difficult task I´ve ever had to complete regarding the Spanish language. Please wish me luck!! (and send me links to Spanish websites that could help me...hehe....)