quarta-feira, dezembro 01, 2004

Cuevas de Valporquero

The trip to the caves was great just like all the other trips. I can´t get over how wonderful it is just to enjoy. The priviledge of enjoying is greatly underestimated in my opinion.
We had to drive to the mountains to get to the caves. The landcscape is really different from the surroundings of León; steep cliffs, mountains and snow! We started off by going to a café up there. It was pretty cold and the staff was wearing winter jackets, scarfs and todo. I couldn´t even buy coffee ´cause they were out of water.
The caves are awesome, but very similar to the ones I visited in South Africa. Can´t remember what they are called, but they are one of the seven wonders of the world. Actually, the caves here are cooler I would say so I don´t understand why the South African caves are so ´wonderful.´We went about 2,5 km below the surface. Kolbrún will post the pictures here next week if she has time :) Apparently, the movie Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Vernes (or Julio as they call him in Spanish, which I find stupid...but anyway) was filmed in the caves. I thought it was pretty neat since the center of the earth is Snaefellsjökull glacier in the story. Now I know the glacier looks like on the inside...
After the caves we went to a really neat village to have lunch (we finished at 5 so I guess it would be called early dinner at home). I just love those places. It feels like being back to the 1930s. The food was so good, and I love how they take their time here. Two hours for lunch is a great idea, and free wine with the meal is even better. The bean soup with chorizo and carrots...mmm... (I think I made a few people faint on the bus afterwards...hehe...but it was worth it). Then there was chicken with fried potatoes. I don´t like the flan though (the desert). The funny thing about Spanish food is that it´s not spicy, but still good (and normally I love spicy). I wish I could take my time like that at home. The people back home are way too stressed and too serious. Unfortunately, I´m usually like that as well, but I think I´ve managed to relax a lot during my time here. After lunch we looked at one waterfall before returning to the city.
Frida, Glenn and I cooked together in the evening (well... Glenn brought the wine). Then we just sat and chatted before going out to a karaoke bar. In Spain they sit and sing...hehe... pretty weird, and for some reason they mostly have Spanish songs...hehe... We all sang, but I topped it by singing True Colours with Cindy Lauper. I couldn´t belive it, but it was 5:40 when I finally got my ass home. The next day wasn´t too fun....